Monday, November 28, 2016

The Move


Sorry guys it has been a little stressful I had elbow surgery this week so got behind so I am going to kind of sum up the rest of the week.

He was still on the run and a warrant for his arrest had been issued. That night my phone ringing waked me up. I look at the number and it’s a weird number that I have never seen. My heart starts to beat so hard I feel like I could have a heart attach. I feel like I could throw up, what do I do? I pick up the phone "Hello?" No answer on the other line I just hear breathing. "Hello?" still nothing. I hang up. I just lay there stare at the top of the bunk bed unable to sleep. I know that was him, why did he call me? Finally I am able to fall asleep.
The next day I attend the last day of school before Thanksgiving break. I am so glad that I don't have to come back to school tomorrow. My story has now been published in the paper and even though my name is not published because I am a minor they state "someone who he had a close relationship with." Well I was the only person in the town that had the last name, as I did so not much to question.
My teacher that had told me I was going to come live with his family comes and finds me to tell me that hopefully tomorrow I will get to move in. This is the first little ray of hope that I have had in the last four days. Now I think to myself I just have to get through my doctors appointment today and then hopefully I can move in tomorrow.
Later that day a state worker and my therapist come and get me from school to take me to the doctors to have a rape exam done. As I sit in the back seat and listen to the state worker talk about all of the million pets that she has I find myself holding on for dear life as she weaves back and forth between trucks. As soon as we arrive we walked into a full waiting room. I look around and find a place that I can go sit down with my therapist while the state worker goes and checks me in. As she walks up to the desk in the loudest voice ever she says "Hi I have Kendra here for her rape exam." Are you kidding me I feel like the whole room is staring at me know. YES, YES I HAVE BEEN RAPED! If you all only knew the half of it. Please just hurry and call me back into a room. After what seems like a lifetime they call me back. I turn to my therapist and ask if just her and I can go back. She makes it happen and we leave the state worker in the waiting room. When we get back into the room the have me change from the waste down so that they can do a rape exam. I take a deep breath and try not to start crying. No one should have to be sitting here waiting for this exam and for sure no child should have to. The doctor come in and starts to make small talk, "do you eat your yogurt?" She asks. "Um.... ya?" As she gets ready to start the exam all I can do is stare at the wall and start crying. I know she is trying to make this less uncomfortable but there is nothing she can say that will make it better. I have stopped listening to what she is talking about and am just wiping the tears away hoping she hurries. She finishes and I get dressed and we go back to the car. As we drive back to the safe house we discuss how I will be going to live with that family tomorrow and I start to get nervous. What if I am too much for them?
The next day is kind of a blur its super busy moving in. As I get to their house its beautiful, so cute and welcoming. I go in and find the sweetest lady in the world sitting there waiting for me. She comes right up and gives me a huge hug and tells me she will show me to my room. She offers to help me with my bags. I look around and tell her that this one bag is all I have. We go down to what will be my room and she tells me she will leave me to move in. As I sit on the bed I can do nothing but cry. How can some people get so lucky to be in a family that is so sweet and have everything I have always waited? Then there are people like me who have a childhood that I never felt safe in. All I have wanted my whole life was to have this.
I make my way back upstairs and find the family in the kitchen. When I get upstairs they inform me that tomorrow (Thanksgiving) there will be lots of people over as her whole family is coming. I feel a little overwhelmed what if they don’t like me? What if I am not good enough for them?


No comments:

Post a Comment